In 2002 the Warragul Heritage Preservation Association Inc. purchased the former Methodist Church from the Uniting Church of Australia. The community group, formed in 1998, has since extended and restored this beautiful building, first occupied in 1888. It is recognized by the Register of the National Estate, National Trust of Australia and Baw Baw Shire Council. The Wesley committee was extremely fortunate to have the financial backing and support of the broader community, Baw Baw Shire Council, Uniting Church - Warragul and the State Government in this restoration project.
"Simply Music" was introduced in 2011 as another opportunity for community members to enjoy and appreciate music by recognised national and international artists.
In addition to its recognition as a fine music venue, Wesley, with its modern well equipped kitchen is known as a venue for weddings, funerals, seminars and meetings.
This fine old building has been lovingly restored and is enjoyed by the local community.
'The Wesley Methodist Church building was built in 1888 to service the spiritual needs of the growing township of Warragul. The brick construction designed by Thomas James Crouch has a low Gothic feel, representative of the ecclesiastical nature of his architecture. Its most prominent features are the two asymmetrical towers located on the western street front. The lower tower has a strong French character, its roof having a witch’s hat profile punctuated by lucarnes. The taller tower has a more-simple roof over an open bell loggia with criss-crossed balustrading. Other features of the building include its corner porches, paired lancet, windows with unusual wall vents below, timber roof trusses and ramped floor.
The Wesley Church building ... is considered to be one of the finest nineteenth century churches in Gippsland.'